Roaming Map, Right.....

Monday, September 4, 2017

Joseph, OR to Grayrocks, WY



Main Gallery Pics here:
Irondyke NF, OR
Wallowa lake SP, Joseph, OR (no pics really)
Camas Reservoir, ID
Craters of the Moon, ID
Warren Bridge BLM, WY
Pete's Draw, WY
Grayrocks Reservoir, WY
Glendo Reservoir, WY



Leaving Joseph State Park, stayed for 1 night $$ and heading to Grayrocks Res, WY, hitting Imnaha first. I wasn’t real sure where I’d end up.  The State Parks, during the off season would be nice if you have a boat/skis. The lake is big and landing docks scattered around for use. Much like picnic tables on the water. Only water accessible but looked like 20'x20' raft/dock floating on the water for day use, picnics, ski launching etc.. kinda kewl... Anyway, back on track...



I wanted to hit Imnaha, OR just to do it and end of paved road.



Parking was an issue for the Rig, so just did a Drive by.




The goal for the day was to go to the Craters of the Moon, which I knew was going to be a long day, but doable…



If I was able to get outta Joseph SP, earlier than normal, I could make it, long drive though.
Not happening…


(End of Paved Road into Imnaha, OR)
I had to keep checking for an internet signal as I’ve been out of contact for  more than a few days, Irondyke no connections, and I needed to search for possible camping sites along the way.  Also to confirm the Eclipse meetup.

As soon as I was able to get a signal, I had to find a spot to pull over, get into camper and get to the laptop for connections and programs.  I have the Verizon Jetpack that I use for connection, it’s just I can 'type' better on the laptop…  Phone/Tablet it’s like 3 letters forward, 2 letters back (mistypes)


Checked stuff out and headed back out on the road, watching fuel carefully.. Hoping I have enough $$ to get there.


Had to go through Boise, ID, not too bad, one accident delayed apx 45 min but able to press on.  It was starting to get dark and I HATE pulling into a campgrounds in the dark, especially BLM land (Free) as they are usually just dirt roads with bumps and grinds ditches, potholes and overhangs and I, regardless, end up in the middle of a drainage ditch.

So, at the Mountian Hill, ID turn off I checked the phone app “Free Campsites” for some Free campsites and found one apx 30-min away at Camas Reservoir just about 20 mi East of Mountain Home, ID.  Did it. Campendium has it now too. (note importance of internet connections)



Camas Reservoir is basically a lake reservoir mainly for fishing peeps right off the Hwy, down a good dirt road.  There are apx 4+ loops that are really just some narrow dirt roads with side spaces for parking.   

The first one was a little too close to the lake and I  was concerned about soft sand/ground sinking.  Also, there was a trailer there, not occupied at the time, looks like a weekend thing for fishing.



Went down a little further, one or two more spots/dirt roads and then found one sorta up on a hill top.


Nice view, had SID (Solar - Internet - DISH).  Life was good…..





Until I kept hearing a “Buzzing” sound…  Like a fly or something…  Sigh, Bugs…





Millions of them, non-biting/threatening, just there.  Looked like big mosquitoes and all over the place.  Like fruit flies. When I was setting up, I noted a “Flock?” of them but figured no big deal.. Heheh, until they started squeaking through the window slide area in the Kitchen.  I usually just have the overhead kitchen light on at night, but have learned that the sliding window and screen has a rubber seal but the bottom/top has a small folded gap.  I found, if I close the window, wet some paper towel and plug the top/bottom leaks and then close the window shade, it will keep ‘Most” of them out.





I do think that I have some “Resident” gnats or moths that keep popping up.  I still find one or two of those Padre Island, TX ‘Piss Ants’... wandering around from last Nov.   That, plus there’s a frequent Waffle of Stagnet Lake smell, like an RV dump area…   so even though I had The Dish and Internet, staying 2 nights was enough.


Moved out the 3nd day for a short 2-hr drive to  the Crater of the Moon's, Lava bed area.



Got there (currently here as I’m typing this) and able to get a spot.  $15 nite, ½ price with the Old Geezer Pass, so 3 nights @ $7.50 each ($22) as I have to wait for a mail drop to Casper, WY and this was a good spot as any.



 Nice sites, Dry, No internet - 1 bar occasionally, but planned on riding bike around the 7-mi loop, bike is still locked up under the camper.



Heheh, well I had to prep some Pork Ribs, always optimistic here, for tonight and of course, typing this up, so I have a valid excuse for NOT riding… .right now.  Plus hot...



Temp is showing 91F at s1430hrs.. So that’s another excuse.. Heheheh, Gawd, need to get out there..


(sort of unique camping sites, nice)


Going back to the IronDyke Campground, I took some pics I thought I’d use for profiles when needed.  Gawd, I’m pregnant… and I know what it is..





“It’s a Beer” and from the size of it, a 24-pack...  


Sigh,, way overweight, probably some 30lbs.. So need to slow down on the beer/coolers, eating a little less and healthier foods.. Like salads… so one step at a time… oh, heheh, and yeah, get more exercise, almost conveniently forgot that one … aka bike, walking/jogging, and rubber bands when I get them.  Can't carry a Stair Master in the Camper.





And NO, the profile pics I took won’t be posted..  So sad that I’ve gotten to this state.  Can’t even suck it in anymore.  If one ever needs motivation to get back on track, just have someone take a current pic of them. I had a work-friend that went on a diet and it was amazing on what she was able to do, so I’m motivated by her…Good show AW, impressed as always.





Have to head over to Casper, WY to pick up mail and continue on to the Eclipse and hopefully onto the job.





If job doesn’t work out, then I’ll try as $$ permits with the FFB’s and explore the Boonies of WY.


Eventually, heading south for the Winter when it cools down.. Luv’d Padre Island, TX… so we’ll see.. (written prior to Hurricane)



Heading towards Casper, needed fuel, luckily card allowed a fill up, so I knew I good to Casper.

Looked for a Free BLM camping site near Casper, WY and found a small one on the Payette River just apx 20 west of Casper, Pete's Draw. Nice spot, room with a view and only $5? night (I think that was it with the Old Geezer Pass (OGP).



Stayed 3 nights to allow mail to catch up. Also, had to do laundry, it was that time of year, heheh, seems like every week though.. Googled and found several laundromat and finally went in and got'er done.



Hit the post office, Walmart and headed out to Grayrock Reservoir to settle down and wait for the Eclipse.


(Grayrocks Sunrise)

Wandering around does have it glitches. I kept thinking that fellow RV'ers would be showing up in a few days... Wrong... I was a Week off... so they won't arrive until the following week and a few days.. sigh..



Found a spot, big enough for one large/long 5th wheel and possibly another truck camper, not sure.



So parked and waited. Nice lake, nice places for groups, single sites along the waterfront and it's Free, 14 limit BLM. (7-day limit I was told by ranger)



And waited. Had some guest's stop by for breakfast, sort of startling when you hear the "Munching" sound and wonder WTF is that???

Looking out the window, heheh, Moooooove along little doggies..



Being a "City Slicker" I didn't go out among them, one had horns and there were some youngins there, didn't want to get between them (like bears and cubs) so just watched for the few minutes till they mooooooo-ved on, heheh, sorry, couldn't resist that one.


(So? chocolate milk cows?? heheh)

Eclipse?, Meh? not that excited about it, but what the hell, I'm here and not many options.

.... and waiting,

(Mapping out the Grill for hotspots)
Had to go into Wheatland, closest town for a Dump N Fill. Lewis City Park which also has free 4-5? night camping spots, a few spots, but does have the DnF stations. Limited to a 3-day stay I believe.

So went into Wheatland, little town apx 20-mi away to do a Dump N Fill at the Lewis city park there and get fuel. Park is a little hard to find, it was "Closed" but facilities were operating so Dumped and Filled, hit the Safeway for essentials and headed back out.,



Water station...


(Right at the little white sign there)
Dump on main road and water by the Bulletin board. They had it closed during the Eclipse thing.



Grayrock is not in the fine lined total path, 90 sec vs 120 at Glendo, but there is another RV'er up at Glendo SP apx 1 hr away, so the thought was to head up there for the showing and then come back to celebrate the "Moon and the Stars (sun)".
(We didn't for various reasons, but sure glad we didn't as the traffic on the Highway was 25-30mph coming Southbound.)



The road goes by a huge power plant, looks like Coal fired and then a winding two lane road to the water and along the waterfront. The road is paved until there's a dirt turnoff, called and numbered gates, like 'Gate 7' which is where I landed. While they have a dirt road connecting those sites, I wouldn't recommend anything big using those or check it out first.



They look ok at the start but then there's a good dip or sharp turn that might cause problems, so heads up.



Not sure what the game plan is after this, have to wait for a mail drop next week, so off and running after that.

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch...


(Chicken Marsala)
I was able to try to get my "Cooking Techniques" back, so started with a Chicken Marsala...



and turned out fairly good if I do say so myself, and grilled Zucchini (in the background.

I also brought back "CARMEN" blender out of storage, as it's just something that needs to get out once in awhile for social gatherings..


(Camping Anywhere Remote for a Margarital Environmental Nirvana)
.. and she did a fantastic job. We invited those camping around us so it was a party in the making.


With fellow campers...



All fun... and CARMEN performed Admirably


Next day was the Eclipse, was good to watch, the diamond thing was a great surprise.

Due to some "Issues" that developed, I left shortly after the Eclipse and headed to Glendo SP where there was an RVillage Meet-up and spent 2 nights there.

I stayed at Sand Beach? and Two Moon whatever..



Both were shaded so SID, was a little difficult, although Solar the biggest issue.



Traffic going Northbound was great, maybe 2-3 cars on it within view, but going Southbound, Yikes... 25-30 mph all the way up. Most going back to Colorado which I'm told is normally a 4-hr drive, took 12-16 hrs.

Coming out of Glendo SP was stop and go, stopping reportedly for 45mins at a time.. Serious traffic there. Luckily I was going in the right direction, no traffic at all. So I just Zipped in and settled down.

Went to the RVillage Meetup in town, was nice, but good to hit the road again...



So, that wraps up this one, till the next one and trip planning for the one after that one...

Cheers..
w







No comments:

Post a Comment